Thursday, September 10, 2009

Neighborhood Introduction: Buckhead - Vikrum Sheorey




"Where old money lives, new money parties."
Atlanta Journal-Constitution

This is the first statement that Buckhead chooses to place on its website which should say a lot about the general attitude of Buckhead and its residents. The first thing that stands out is the wealth of Buckhead. It is known as an expensive place that is out of reach for all but the most elite of Atlanta's residents. In this way Buckhead does not side with the authors of Suburban Nation, who feel that mixed income neighborhoods provide a better sense of community. However, Buckhead has a lot more in common with Duany, Plater-Zyberk, and Speck's criteria than one might think. Thus I chose Buckhead because my criteria consisted of a mix between the book's criteria and my own.

The first of my criteria was the presence of some form of mixed use areas in the neighborhood. The more urban part of Buckhead accomplishes this quite well with apartments near stores, albeit very expensive apartments. In addition to these mixed areas, there are also strictly residential areas. I like this because it provides an option for those who seek different styles of living.

I also stated that narrow streets that form a web were an important aspect of a neighborhood. Buckhead contains a mix of narrow and wide streets and I was too unfamiliar with the streets to know if they form a web. I will reserve judgment on this aspect of my criteria for a later visit.

Another thing I thought was good for a neighborhood was a distinct center and civic buildings. On my visit I did not see any civic buildings or town centers, however another visit will help in assessing this issue. Though if there were to be a distinct center, it would have to be well... distinct. Since I could not tell where the general center of Buckhead was, I doubt that Buckhead contains this part of my criteria.

The next element was lively and unique areas. Buckhead definitely contains a lively and unique atmosphere. With places like the ESPN zone and smaller restaurants like Felini's, Buckhead does not necessarily have a homogeneous big box retail feeling to it.

Finally I also stated that the houses in a neighborhood should be proportionate to their lots. To observe this I went into the surrounding suburbs of Buckhead. The neighborhood was very calming and pleasant and in the part that I went to, the houses seemed to be more traditional than sprawl-like.


In general, Buckhead seems to be a good fit for my criteria. Since I am doing Buckhead in general and not a specific area like Lennox, I will need to explore more of the area to get a better feel for it. However, Buckhead seems like a great place to live and have fun - that is if you can pay.

- Vikrum Sheorey

No comments:

Post a Comment